Saturday, July 1, 2023

A Sad Day

Poppy Q has died. For those who don’t know her, she was a lovely little girlcat who lived with her mum in New Zealand. She was sixteen, I think, and failing. Her mum knew that she would have to say good-bye very soon, so there was some time for her to prepare, but that never helps much when it comes to loss, anyway.

I visited Poppy’s blog every day for years, to see what was new. Hers were, perhaps, ordinary adventures: a new bed, a trip to the veterinary hospital, something delicious to eat. She would often wake her mum far too early, or prevent her from sleeping well during shift-work. But I don’t think it was minded too much.

Her mum thought it was time for Poppy’s last trip to the hospital earlier in the week, but the little grey cat rallied for a final day. It reminded me of when my Tucker was able to enjoy one more day, one more tasty meal, one more evening with his human. These are the splendid times we remember.

If you would like to visit Poppy’s blog and leave condolences, I think it would give comfort to her mum. Awareness that your loved one was known and is missed is a gift.

http://poppyq.blogspot.com

15 comments:

  1. Thanks. My life was brighter having my girl Poppy in it, and 16 years seems not long enough. Now my home seems empty and i am heartbroken at her loss.
    Thank you for your daily visits. Our lives are touched by all of our blogging friends.

    Julie xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I said on your blog, I didn't know of Poppy until John told us of her passing, but I read through a number of your old posts. I know how lonely you must feel without her, but she had a life of happiness and love. She was very lucky. You were, as well.

      Delete
  2. I have only been following Poppy & her Mum for about a year, but I too enjoyed her very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always so sad when we lose one of our cats. No matter how long we have them, it's never long enough. My condolences to Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too sad.
    Will send hugs and purrs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember Poppy from long long ago. I am so sorry she has passed away. We moms and dads really suffer agonies when this time comes though we dread it so much. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello John ... just wanted to say how very much I enjoyed little Poppy's daily escapades too. She will leave a big gap in many of the lives of us that visited her regularly but an especially huge gap in her Mums life. We are never ready to farewell our furry family members. A lovely tribute post John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too was very sad at the news although we knew it was coming. Julie and Poppy started blogging I think within a year of us. We visited every time they posted although we didn't leave a comment every time. Miss Pops will be very much missed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words are always a gift as well. Poppy Q, forever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We did not know Poppy Q well, but it is sad that she crossed her Bridge. Every cat is precious.
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mum and I did not know Poppy well, but we did pay our respects as
    we know her purrson will miss Poppy so very much.
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tribute to Poppy Q is beautiful, John. Poppy was one of our very first blogging friends, and we are gutted by her passing. She will be missed by so many of us around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has been years since the cats and I read about Poppy Q. I lost the link and never found it again. I will definitely stop by, as I know how much she will be missed.

    ReplyDelete