Monday, July 3, 2023

Hope for the Lion, Part 2

What a reversal of fortune for Neville. He went to the hospital, and is still there.

A doctor different than the first saw him, and is certain that Nev’s problem is an abscess due to infection in the hole left from a tooth extracted a few months ago. He explained how an abscess can form in the chin – due to a lack of any channel that may be used for drainage – and how it can be emptied, the cavity cleaned and the hole sewn shut to avoid it happening again.

The surgery is taking place now, thanks, I think, to most people believing that this veterinary hospital was closed today (most businesses take Monday off in lieu of Saturday’s Canada Day; the hospital closed Friday, instead.) Time was available, which obviates Nev having to be brought in for another appointment tomorrow or whenever there is an opening. Afterward, he will receive an injection of strong anti-biotic; the previous ones we used either made the Nevsky sick or had minimal effect on the abscess, because of its isolated situation.

I asked the doctor outright if he thought Neville had cancer, and he said that it didn’t appear so. His partner had noted her ‘suspicions’ of carcinoma – which is not the more certain statement made to me – but even from the look of the infected spot, it seems not to be cancerous. Once the abscess burst, the infection subsided a bit, and it appears smaller and less red now than previously. It will, of course, worsen again without treatment, which is what Neville is receiving now.

Another blessing is that, while the veterinary was very reluctant to sedate Nev with normal drugs, due to his unmanaged diabetes, there are drugs that can by-pass such dangers, and that is what he will be given. Even so, my lion survived his dental surgery not so long ago without trouble.

This is a great relief for me. I will not assume that Neville has no cancer, though it now seems improbable. But he is at the age for it, and has had every other crisis, so I won’t uncross my fingers yet. And this is clearly a tricky condition he has, so I won’t disregard the possibility that it will recur. There is still his uncontrolled diabetes; was it caused by this infection, slowly working its way into an abscess? Maybe, maybe not; the diabetes may remain a difficulty. That written, I will consider first things first. A victory over Nev’s immediate problem feels impending, and he likely does not have cancer. I am very confident of better health for my grey lion.

22 comments:

  1. I feel very very happy at this wonderful news about Neville. All the love and purrs and prayers he has had, have benefitted him and my relief is huge. Neville, I send you smoochies and pets and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful picture of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm relieved and am guardedly optimistic. I realize Neville's Diabetes presents challenges and hope that all will be well. He has suffered so much hardship in his life, he deserves comfort and stable health.

    I will continue to keep him in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, that's good news but surgery and anesthesia is always so scary. More purrs and prayers from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy there is hope. Praying all went well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems as though all of our prayers have been answered and I'm sure you are much relieved! Even though Neville has other health issues, the likelihood that he does not have cancer is great news and hopefully this will be the start of better health for him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Purring that Neville comes out of this much improved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Neville sure has to go through the wringer washer', but what a turn of events. We hope for he best and a complete healing and a much better outlook for the future.

    POTP, Neville!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I hope this is the answer gor Mr Nev. My poor heart could not take any more heartbreak this week. Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you and Poppy through much of the day. Neville may never be completely out of the woods, with one problem and another, but we sometimes have to take life with our cats day by day. Thank you for thinking of Nev at this time.

      Delete
  10. This is very good news. I hope the surgery went well and he is making a good recovery. Maybe when the abscess is healed this vet might have different ideas about controlling the diabetes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know..l did'nt say at the time, but l have
    never..never in my whole life~time known
    any cat have cancer, dogs yes, but not a
    cat...l suppose they do, but, l've never come
    across one..!

    Bless him..!x He's lovely...!x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad to hear what may be the end of his problem for now. He's such a sweet cat to put up with so much in the few years that he's been with you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. dood….we iz buzzed happee de bass terd C werd seemz two bee re moved frum yur health record, hope it stayz sew, N heerz two best fizhez with platez fulla wizhez that yur home, on de road two ree coveree and health ~~~~ with da blessingz frum st francis…all wayz🍀💚

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, that is such encouraging news! I'll keep sending him healing thoughts. For what it's worth, I know THREE people who were erroneously told by doctors that they had cancer. Unfortunately, the misdiagnosis was only discovered after all three had surgeries that were not only unnecessary, but caused them additional problems. So it's not at all unlikely to me that poor Nev is suffering from nothing worse than this abscess.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Purrs all goes well for Neville.
    Paws crossed that this op will help a lot and you can deal with the diabetes.
    Purrs Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope all is going well for the Nev. Poor guy must have felt instant relief when the abscess burst. Please give the guy a pet from me. 😸

    ReplyDelete
  17. That seems to be, at least on the surface, some better news for Nev. I hope his surgery went well and he is home again and recovering.
    Saku sends his purrs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Purrs and prayers for Nev. I hope all went as planned and that he will feel ever so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This si such good news. Maybe these new vets that you are now encountering will have new input on his diabetes. More time for you to savor with Nev. Purryers and POTP.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, what an amazing and fortunate turn of events for Neville. We're purring and praying his recovery goes well. XO

    ReplyDelete