Monday, July 3, 2023

Hope for the Lion

Today, I was going to take Neville to the veterinary hospital to say good-bye to him. Since the previous blog-entry about him, his condition had grown worse and, instead of not giving him his daily dose of pain-killer, I knew he had to have more than what had been prescribed. He was in a bad way.

But yesterday, a great deal of blood and puss broke out of his chin, which has now been reduced to a more normal size. Moreover, his behaviour makes it clear that he is not as distressed, and is more restful than he had been. These factors have made me wonder if his recent problems have stemmed from a severe abscess. So today, Nev is going to the vet, but for an examination and, possibly – possibly tomorrow – a cleansing of what may remain of an abscess while under sedation. This will be accompanied by an injection of a powerful anti-biotic. This has the advantage of being given directly into the system, though the disadvantage is that once it is given, it is given, and any ill effects must be endured. But a surgical cleansing would, hopefully, eliminate a recurrence of the infection, which would return unless aggressively dealt with.

The diagnosis of cancer could have been in error. Then again, it may have been correct. But I feel I can’t pass this opportunity for giving my grey lion a chance at a few more years, without pain. If it is cancer after all, then he may still have months ahead of him. I think it is worth investigating. In any case, I won’t let him suffer, and my eye will be closely on him.

10 comments:

  1. Prayers that all goes well for him at the vet. Abscesses can be pretty nasty; he must be feeling better now that it's draining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post today does sound hopeful. I'm hoping that you're correct and that Neville's diagnosis of cancer was in error. I'll be anxious to hear what the vet finds today. Will you be seeing the same vet that made the cancer diagnosis or will this be another vet who will give you a second opinion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first vet is on holiday, so it will be a different doctor. That will have both advantages and disadvantages, as you can imagine.

      Delete
  3. Prayers for Neville. I hope his recovery from this surgery is quick. I feel so very sorry for his suffering of any kind. I know you have your eye on his welfare.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers from me as well. I do hope the cancer diagnosis was incorrect (though I'd be leery of ever taking a cat back to that vet if that's the case).

    Best of luck with Neville, I hope there will be a good update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and Neville today, and hope you get the answers you need.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crossing all paws and sending lots of good wishes for Neville.

    Purrs,
    The Chans

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound hopeful for Neville. I apologise if I am wrong, but do I remember you saying about a month ago that Neville had a large swelling on his chin. I can't remember the name you thought it was but it was over activity of a growth hormone. I did look it up at the time. Hopefully it was an abcess all the time and he will feel better now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely sounds like an abscess, which certainly would contribute to his feeling ill. Purrayers and Power of the Paw for good news !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Purrs and prayers from all of us too.

    ReplyDelete