Friday, March 10, 2023

A Home of Tradition

Tradition plays not a small part in the life of the Cosy Apartment. We have our customs that we follow, not because we must, but because we enjoy them, because their repetition brings both comfort and entertainment.


Even the youngest among our residents feels the need to follow traditions. One tradition that Tucker started, many years ago, was licking the dish after my Saturday breakfast. I usually have a meat-pie for breakfast on that day. I find them tasty and they probably provide nutrition and malnutrition in an aesthetically pleasing balance. Every Saturday, Tucker would wait for me to finish the pie, upon the completion of which I would place the dish on the floor, for him to lick up the gravy, of which I left some for that purpose. Hector continued this tradition, and now, it is satisfying to note, Zofia has carried it on.



Another tradition that little Miss Zed has propelled relates to kittens. When I had the pleasure of fostering the Felons, Oleo and Bisto, their teething issues - and probably their sense of mischief - led them to chew various items which were much less healthy than my Saturday morning meat pies. Because their safe-room was the library, they spent much time there, and there they gnawed on book covers, blanket tags and the odd electrical cord. Once again, Zofia, who apparently has a good sense of history, continues the activity.



Yes, we have our customs that we follow, not because we must, but because their repetition brings both comfort and entertainment. Sometimes for several of us, sometimes just for one…

16 comments:

  1. Not a book!!!!
    Although CB will lay down on top of any open book or newspaper that I have on the table, and Manny pushes books from the shelves (My Complete Sherlock Holmes is getting beat up), they usually leave their scratching and biting to the various scratchers that we've strewn about the place.
    However, my empty bowl of oatmeal is licked clean first by CB, then Manny. They do not do this to The Hubby's bowl, but I guess that's the tradition here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shouldn’t let her, but I think it adds a little character to the book. Josie was my real book-lover, though. (https://ihavethreecats.blogspot.com/2013/02/josie-literate.html)

      Delete
  2. Jessica used to suck wool. Don't ask how many blankets she damaged. I understand wool sucking is a common form of pica and may occur if a kitten is weened too early. While Willow enjoys eating paper. (Don't leave napkins or tissues around.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has had a good chew on that book. I hope you keep your much loved books in a place of safety. Eric and Flynn had all their toys in a big cardboard box and gave that a good chewing. They first started when they were teething and I used to find baby teeth in and around the box. I wish I had kept them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh to have baby teeth of any of mine. Admiral was mine after these of 4 months, so her teethies were in I imagine.

      Delete
  4. The chewing part is why I love my old timers. They and I have a routine that is set in a routine we all enjoy. But they (and I) are certainly creatures of habit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe she'll grow into a book lover and reader! Fun that she's licking and liking your breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, aren't traditions wonderful? That lick of gravy would be especially tasty. I'm not sure about anything else that Zofia is chewing on, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are fun traditions! We really don't have any fun ones here, at least none that come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toki was a wool sucker, chewer, too...he put holes in so many things...
    Suki wanted to devour anything strand-like...wool, ribbon, string...and since the boys were in the early grades of school, there were often works of art on the fridge...which I had to take off any hanging things, else she would find them and get into trouble...she once ate about a foot of wool...yikes! We were able to induce vomiting, right away, because I found her in the 'act'...so at least she suffered no internal harm from that...but sheesh, we had to be vigilant after all of that!

    Minko was into the cardboard biting/chewing, but since I always had boxes for their pleasure, he left more valuable items alone. Pipo chewed up plastic bags if he could find them...silly dude.
    They both would chew the cords of the sons' earbuds or other electronics...MInko destroyed the charging cord to the laptopp...its a wonder he didn't get a burn or worse.

    The tradition here with the pups is they come running whenver they hear a yogurt container being opened...because they *need* to indulge in a tasty lick!

    How fun that Zofia continues the plate licking tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's a lot of strange chewing going on. I hope they liked food once in a while!

      Delete
    2. But of course, the rest was for fun and served as appetizers...or in the case of cardboard, tooth cleaning, LOL!

      Delete
  9. Oh look at that little Miss Zed mouth WIDE open to get as much book as possible into it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a large dictionary, that for whatever reason, has been a magnet for my cats for years. As a result, it looks like it's been put through a wood-chipper.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had a cat that chewed books. Saku has his very own blanket that he sucks on and kneads as he does it, and loves anything with glue on it. And I do admit to allowing him a taste of various human foods. I've learned, the hard way, that dairy is an absolute no-no.
    That Zophia is so darned cute!

    ReplyDelete