Thursday, March 2, 2023

He Came Just for the Food

With people, Imogen is at ease and relaxed. With other cats, it’s a different story. She has seen all three of the other beasts in the apartment, but still dislikes being in proximity to them; thirty or forty feet seems to be her safe-zone. Nonetheless, the more she sees of them, the better.


She is not yet ready to take on the eagerness of Zofia, but the world-weary resignation toward other cats shown by my oldsters makes them a more attractive proposition for integration. Renn seems more interested in Imo’s litter-box, when he has the chance to sniff it, while Neville is, predictably, concerned exclusively with her food.


Illustrated below is a typical reaction of the Nevsky to the open library door, and the new cat beyond it. Like the people who show up uninvited at weddings or parties, Nev came just for the food.


13 comments:

  1. And tell me exactly who does not wish they had the invite to the back yard BBQ, or birthday party with hot burgers on the grill, or the wedding? Neville is absolutely no different than me when my tummy rumbles as I walk the neighborhood and smell the food cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's long been my desire to see a law enacted stating that if a person can smell a barbeque, he must be invited to it.

      Delete
    2. And I would certainly vote for that!

      Delete
  2. In my home town it is the funerals that bring out the "come for the food" crowd. The funeral cards are posted in the post office a day or two ahead which makes for easy planning.
    It seems Imogen is okay with sharing her meal with Nev. That's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It occurs to me that since both Nev and Imogen want other cats to leave them alone, perhaps they can find an alliance of a sort? "Hey, you respect my space, I respect your space."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhhhhh! The lure of food! Hard for a cat to resist ;)
    I like food too ;) At least Imogen did not run and hide.
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! The ultimate moocher! I'll echo Julie's comment, it's great that Imogen didn't run away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems Imogen and Nev have something in common - they both love their food and they both want other cats to leave them alone. Maybe this common ground will eventually turn into a friendship??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imogen obviously realised Nev was there, but at least she ignored that fact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We hope she will eventually be okay with the others but that does make finding a home a bit of a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hopefully as more time goes by Imogen will accept the others as well as she accepts people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would hate to think what it would be like if I popped over the Bridge and Katie had to live with someone else. Heaven help if they had a cat. That is a totally complete no- no.

    ReplyDelete