Friday, March 3, 2023

I Was Almost Out the Door When...

Some things seem to go together: bacon and eggs, love and marriage, nervous and wreck, rainy days and Mondays… Another pair that seem natural together are trying to leave the house for work and a mess made by a cat.


Earlier this week, I noticed something on the rug that covers the corridor leading from the store-room, where the litter-boxes are, to the other rooms. Someone, who shall remain nameless (though his name is actually ‘Neville’), wiped his bum on the rug after leaving the facilities. That wasn’t as bad as the fact that in doing so, he pushed much of the debris into his fur. Twenty-five minutes later, I was able to leave, late, for work.


Though the problem does not occur often, thank goodness, the Nevsky will be having his bum-hair shaved soon. He suffers a great deal from unwanted attention, I’m afraid. Having his rear end cleaned periodically, mats cut or combed out, diabetic treatment and experiments, and a revolving door for strange cats coming and going, the Former Thin Man doesn’t seem to enjoy his life as much as he should. Yet this morning, I woke to him lying on the bed near me, purring. That was very pleasant to experience.


I just wish he could time his minor disasters more to my advantage.


18 comments:

  1. John...how are his anal glands? I realize he's has a history for stool clinging but still...have his anal glands..everyone's for that matter, been examined? Worth keeping up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renn and Zofia are fine; Imogen hasn't been for her vet-check yet, though she is showing no signs of any trouble. I will have to have Nev checked.

      Delete
  2. I can certainly sympathize. Joey is a medium-hair domestic cat like Neville, and he is prone to getting soiled on his rear end, tail and hind legs. (Not to mention, he has a very long tail so that compounds the problem.) Needless to say, I have decided against getting a Persian Cat in the foreseeable future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a fluffy manx cat whose nether regions have to cut too and since her spine is formed a bit differently than tailed cats she really HATES that area messed with. Although after ten years she has learned that when I trim her furry bu*t it doesn't hurt so she now will stay still for me for oh 3-4 seconds which is usually enough time for me to make the strategic trim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annabelle! Three or four seconds is pretty fast for what needs to be done to her.

      Delete
  4. What a way to start your work day. Neville boy, sorry you got a mess on your bum. Life happens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carole's comment about anal glands has merit, though it probably doesn't apply in Neville's case. I always knew when I had to take Nicki in for gland expression because he'd start dragging his butt across the carpet. Bleh.

    Of course these things always happen when we're short on time, it seems to be a universal law!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear, of course it happens just as you're about to head out the door to work. I'm sure Neville will handle the shaved bum as well as he handles all the other treatments. He's such a sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I thought only The Hubby started up with stuff just as I am walking out the door...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It always happens at the most inopportune moments!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah! Bless him..!x Love him to bits..!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. On the bright side, that's probably the most memorable excuse for being late that your workplace has heard in some time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably so. They likely expect something about cats from me, though...

      Delete
  11. Never seems to happen on the weekend either.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awwww poor guy. We've done a little of that butt dragging ourselves and have lots of fur as well. One solution to keep it down is very little dry food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The irony is that he's the one of mine who doesn't eat much dry food.

      Delete
  13. These things always seem to happen when you have somewhere to go, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Purrfect timing...NOT!
    They seem to have some kind of instinct about when to 'perform'!

    ReplyDelete