Sunday, March 5, 2023

And How the Boys Sleep...

When I wrote about the odd positions in which my girlcats sometimes sleep, Poppy Q suggested that I describe how the two mancats sleep. Unfortunately, how the guys snooze away their time is rather mundane, compared to the girls. But bear in mind that my mancats are also old cats.

Renn still manages to hop up onto the saddle-topped cat-tree in the bedroom. His footing isn’t as sure as it once was, and I worry about him. But this is one of his favourite spots for sleeping.

Fortunately, there is the bed, safer to lie on and easier to get onto. My big boy likes resting there, also. It allows him room for his still-expansive (if less than it was) form.

Neville too has a couple of preferred locations; like Renn, one is at the top of a cat-tree and one on a wider surface. Nev’s cat-tree spot is in the sitting room, at the top of the taller tree. He often squishes himself against the parapet that runs around three sides of the platform. Here, you can make out one of his eyes watching me, wondering why I am disturbing his needed sleep.

Then, there is the floor near the bedroom door. I don’t know why he started lying there. It happened some time ago, and he seems to like it. It’s a central location and at least has carpeting, but I can’t imagine that it is the most comfortable. But cats have their own standards.

As my beasts age, I try to give them as many attractive places to lie as possible. There are cat-beds, of course, but in the Cosy Apartment, only some cats have used them, though they used them habitually. The mancats prefer less obvious spots and, if they don’t utilise them as idiosyncratically as the girls do theirs, they appear to gain as much enjoyment from them.

13 comments:

  1. Cats and their sleeping places; humans just don't understand why they chose them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have three cat condos, but the only one Ernie will ever use is the smallest of the lot. He has to squash himself in like a canned sardine. I would think he'd prefer more elbow room, but no.

    Because a cat's gonna cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each of my girl cats has had her own idea of what is bed. Sometimes a real human bed, but mostly other than that. It is fun to see your boys like higher altitudes sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hammock which Cassi and Willow both love. (They timeshare). Danni prefers to lie on one of the cat beds. Pete's favorite resting place is the top of a cat condo. While Joey likes to sleep under my desk. I can't imagine that area is very comfortable, but he seems to like it, so who an I to argue??

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look like they're super comfy spots. Thanks for making a special post for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why is it that cats prefer hard surfaces to cushy cat beds to sleep or nap in????

    ReplyDelete
  7. As long as our cats are happy, we are happy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cats will choose their own spots whether we think they are comfortable or not. Flynn's favourite spot from mid March onwards was the wall by the dining table. The sun had reached the floor by then and he would sleep for hours on his back with all four paws curled upwards.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bless! As far as l'm concerned, l can sleep
    anywhere...
    Last night l slept like a log...
    Woke up in the fire~place..! :O).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I came back to read more comments, and I see mine of yesterday didn't take. I think I said that my cats tend to have a few favorite spots. Admiral's was in her small kitten sized condo, regardless of her growth. And Katie, she monorails on the back of her recliner, and the back of the couch. When she isn't in her beddie or mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is any cat's sleeping position really mundane? :-)

    They are masters of relaxation, so enviable from this human's perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its fun to see how they are all so very unique in their habits.

    ReplyDelete