Wednesday, March 15, 2023

The New Cato

Cato is the name I had given to a light-coloured Bengal-patterned cat who started appearing around my apartment building last year. It turns out that he is an owned cat, with another name, who is (now) neutered. I don’t like him roaming, but at least he is not making new homeless cats. Since he has his own name, I decided to transfer his old one to a new cat, also a Bengal-patterned fellow, though darker. And this one I think has no home.



This Cato has not been showing up for long and has been appearing mainly after dark, when it is difficult to differentiate him from his namesake. Yesterday, he arrived during daylight. He was hungry but not, I believe, starving: he ate about two thirds of a large tin of soft-food. He consumed a little hard-food but not enough to suggest that he was famished. He looks well-fed, and groomed, and is not feral; I was able to touch him, and he seems friendly. I think he would have come into the apartment if I had allowed him. But outside, he has the watchful, wary attitude of a lost or abandoned cat. As well, there is something amiss with his right eye: the whole orb looks a dark blue.



This brings to four the number of outsider-cats who come to CafĂ© Cosy, though none patronises the restaurant on a regular basis. Aside from the new Cato, there is, of course, Sable (quite feral) and her friend, Arliss (who doesn’t seem feral but shy). Then there is Cicero, a very timid fellow, with white and, I think, very dark tabby markings, distinctive on his back. He has been so scared that he has run if I made eye contact with him from inside my apartment. But that is changing, and while previously he fled when I tried putting soft-food out for him, he now waits by the fence and watches me. Associating me with sustenance and assistance is a first step.


But Cato is another matter, someone who might benefit almost right away from being sheltered. He is distinctive enough to be recognized on local lost-and-found websites but I have not seen him on any. As he may be homeless, I will try, when opportunity permits, to gain his friendship. He may appreciate that.

16 comments:

  1. I hope you can make friends with him soon. Can you tell if he's able to see out of his right eye?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell about his eye. This is the first time I've been so close to him.

      Delete
  2. Hello to Cato. So interesting that the cats know to come to you. There is something calling those in need to us. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Cato. I hope you allow a clear picture of you, but that is asking a lot of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping a new friendship emerges and blooms quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice to see you have a new customer, though not really considering they are outside instead of inside. Maybe you will see this one more often in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome, Cato! Since he seems friendly, I would think he is used to humans and has, (or at one time had), a home. But it's curious that no one has placed a notice about him on a lost and found website. Meanwhile, I am concerned about his right eye. Is this something that needs medical attention? Could it be his owners turned him out because they didn't want (or couldn't) pay for vet care? My Joey was abandoned at the shelter because he needed care for an eye infection that eventually caused his his right eye to rupture. Unfortunately, unless the owners make themselves known, there may not a lot we can do to help him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We hope you get a chance to help that sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope he will make friends with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have our paws crossed that the two of you become friends very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Purrs Cato comes around often enough for you to help him a bit.
    Purrs, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are purring that Cato decides his chances are better at the Cozy Apartment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do hope Cato does become recognize you as a friend, and perhaps can be re-homed? My daughter's Spencer was quite nervous at first, and like Cato is quite distinctive in markings but despite advertising her on the lost and found groups, no one claimed her. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lets hope he cn soon let you get a letter look at him, and maybe take him in? Or check for a microchip? Sure hope he was not abandoned...

    ReplyDelete