Thursday, December 30, 2021

Moving a Mountain

Two and a half years ago, friends and fellow cat-people gave me a set of stairs to put beside my bed for Cammie to use, after her stroke had blinded her. They were a great boon to her. Since then, others have used them, most notably Renn.


When I clean the bedroom, I place them in the corridor, out of the way until I am done. Almost every time, I find Hector playing with them. I assume it’s some form of play, perhaps like a child pretending to have a fort, or a cave of his own. The first time it happened, I heard a scraping sound and came out of the bedroom to see the stairs inching forward, seemingly of their own accord. It was Hector, crawling underneath them, and taking the stairs with him. There is a very narrow space though which Hec can slip between the bottom step and the floor, though the stairs are not heavy and he can probably push them up to give himself room.


After he is done playing, he emerges, apparently tired out, as if he had spent much effort achieving a great feat. Perhaps in his fertile imagination, he has. For all I know, he has just moved a mountain. Such is the power of youth, even in a cat.








20 comments:

  1. Oh, that made me laugh! Hector is quite the character. I think that if I were a cat, I'd feel like I'd moved a mountain too. :-)

    A very happy new year, John. I hope 2022 is without sickness and loss, that it brings only good health and happiness to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! My! What a clever little fellow
    he is..And what imagination, to think
    of ways to enjoy a set of steps..Bless
    him..!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purrfect pictures to show off Hector's accomplishment. He's the young
    inquisitive one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a set of stairs that I keep next to my bed, and on occasion, I've noticed that my cats will move them. I figured that they were just helping me redecorate.
    John, may you and your feline family have a happy, healthy, and peaceful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roberta. I hope you and yours have the same. I know you have six cats. I suspect I won't have just three by the end of next year...

      Delete
    2. I've been reading your blog ever since you fostered Noah, and I agree with you that you'll have more than 3 cats by the end of next year. But it goes without saying that any cat you have, be it permanent or foster, will be exceedingly lucky!

      Delete
  5. That's really a pretty impressive accomplishment. Hector has a gift for finding his own entertainment.

    May he, and you, and the rest of the Cosy A. have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year to you, too, Undine. I recall you writing once that your mother was fostering kittens; does she still foster? I hope everyone at your end of the world is doing well.

      Delete
    2. She has eight. Count 'em. EIGHT.

      I think that should qualify for some sort of medal. Or a straitjacket.

      Delete
  6. Good on you Hector. Happy New Year to you all .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hector looks very pleased with himself after moving his own personal mountain. T wish you and the cats a very happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kittens are so much fun! Hec is such a character

    Wishing all the residents of the cozy Apartment all the best in 2022.
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those stairs are fun. We had some for Angel Gracie and Seal likes to hide under them sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! Hector, good on you! You are a mancat to be reckoned with, Happy New Year to you John, and each feline member of the family. May this year coming be a joy in its own special way to each one of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your post made me laugh! You tell the story so well with your photos. The last pic, Hector seems to be saying "I did it dad"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's always up to something. Thank you for following my blog, Patty. I hope you and your family have a delightful new year.

      Delete
  12. Hector is very inventive!! He knows how to play and makes toys/games form what we as peeps would not ever have thought possible!! He is a a smart kitty!

    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hec is indeed an intelligent boy. He learned his new name swiftly, figured out the track-ball toy, took in when meals came and what they were called... I noticed how smart he was from the start.

      Happy new year to you, too, and may that wish come true.

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh, that's so much fun! I love that Hector finds the stairs amusing. He's so clever!

    ReplyDelete